Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Unknown Photographers

above: unknown photographer.
reverse inscription:
Standing: Aunt Rachel, Aunt Polly, Mr Matthew Taylor, Mrs Matthew Taylor.
Sitting: Mr Taylor (Senior), Lucy Taylor, Mrs Taylor Senior nee Sarah Housley, John Taylor Junior, Mr John Taylor Senior, Willie Taylor, Mr Ben Taylor.


above and below - photographs of unknown locations believed to be Christchurch.

Oxford Street, Lyttelton
The large two storey building is The Colonists Hall built in 1867 and further along Oxford Street is the first Lyttelton Main School built in 1874 to a design by William Armson.

The Colonists Hall - Built by the England brothers, this two storey wooden building with a huge, unique rose window was an early community hall for Lyttelton, holding its library, reading rooms, assembly and committee rooms and concert and dance hall. In later years it was used for ‘manual’ woodwork and cookery classes by Lyttelton Main School until it was demolished in 1943.
Lost Lyttelton - Christchurch City Council

W. Burt, Baker
location not known

Ferntree Lodge, Dunedin

This house is Dunedin’s oldest surviving house and the only ferntree house still occupied in New Zealand. The house is reputed to have been built in 1849 just a year following the settlement of Dunedin. The quaint cottage, with its medieval appearance, is probably best known as the home of the Thomson family, whose mineral waters and soft drinks were once the toast of Dunedin. In the early 1900’s the house was extended into two separate houses which were linked by a billiards room and a shared entrance. It extended from a five bedroom cottage into a 20 room house. In the 1970’s the house and grounds slipped into disrepair after a failed bid to turn it into a Tavern complex. It was the Dunedin City Council which came to the houses rescue in 1980 and they completed some general upgrading to bring the house back to its original enchanting state. The house is and the surrounding 10 acre section is located in a woodland setting and although the once long tree lined drive way has been replaced by the extension of Wairoa Street, the house still keeps its appeal as a private piece of real estate. The house is now back in private ownership and is still defying the sceptics who believe that to be permanent, a house must be built of stone or brick.

This 2-storey dwelling, on the north west frontier of Dunedin, had been built in 1849 and bought by Alexander Thomson in a dilapidated state in 1898. The outer wall was of squared fern tree trunks from the original forest with clay packed in the interstices. It was renovated for Alexander by his brother-in-law, John White, who also added
a much grander 2-storey brick house, completed in 1902. Fern tree House was to be Bill Thomson's home for the rest of his life, while the large house was occupied by his mother, accompanied from time to time by various sons and daughters.

A view of Lyttelton in the 1860s by an unknown photographer
(from a stereo card)

Two Stereo Cards
Cave Rock, Sumner and on the Estuary

Canterbury Hockey Association Representative's Shield Team 1912
This badly damaged and faded photograph shows the Canterbury Hockey Association Representative's Shield Team which defeated Wellington 4 goals to 3 and defeated Auckland 1 goal to nil in 1912. The lower part of the photographic mount is missing which may have listed the players' names and identified the photographer.

Clara Seagar by an unknown photographer, copied by Steffano Webb probably in 1934.
Clara Seagar who died on 16 September 1932 aged 80 years was the wife of the financier John Henry Seager.

The houses shown in the two following photographs appear to be adjoining houses, however the large bush present on the boundary of one photograph in not present in the second photograph.
above - location and photographer unknown. There appears to be a shield from a Coat of Arms above the entrance to the porch.

above - location and photographer unknown


Looking up Callery Gorge to Mt Drummond

Crevasse on Franz Josef Glacier showing Waihi River

Lake Mapourika on Main South Road - West Coast
Franz Josef Glacier reflected

Looking down Waihi River from Callery Gorge

Pinnacles Franz Josef Glacier

Franz Josef Glacier Mts Roon & Bismarck as seen from Glacier Hotel

Main South Road to Franz Glacier

Lake Mapourika on Main South Road
Franz Josef Glacier Mt Cook Mt Tasman reflected

Lake Ianthe on Main South Road. West Coast
This photograph was issued as a postcard under the Graham Series number 34

Franz Josef Glacier - West Coast.
Reflection in Peters Pool

Mts Cook & Tasman from Mt Maltke (?)
12349' 11475'

The Rev. Frederick Richard Inwood
born 2 September 1849 - died 1 May 1939
Anglican Minister, Vicar of Flaxton - Ohoka 1889 to 1906, later first Vicar of New Brighton and then Burwood.
Later lived at 19 Cracroft Terrace, Christchurch.

He arrived in Lyttelton on the Sir George Seymour
departed Plymouth Sound, England 8 September 1850, anchored at Lyttelton at 10am 17 December 1850.
His father Daniel Inwood had the mill on the Avon River near Hereford Street bridge.

inscription on reverse states:
"The Rev Mr Inwood

Woolston School
reverse inscribed
"Vera Bowden"
(Births Death and Marriages show a Vera May Bowden born about 1901 and a Vera Bowden born about 1904)

below: Country and location unknown

above: graves at an unknown location

This is the grave of the Christchurch timber merchant Samuel McMurray who died 24 August 1937 at 145 Victoria Street, Christchurch, buried Bromley Cemetery block 36 row D.

This is the headstone of Caroline Hay nee McClelland who died 17 June 1907 aged 60 years, buried Addington Cemetery, Christchurch.


The Volunteer Encampment
The Star, 28 March 1888, page 3

A fatigue party of Volunteers, detailed from the various Companies for the purpose of pitching the tents for the Easter Encampment at Harewood road, paraded at the Drillshed under Major Newell this morning. As it was very apparent that it would be useless to attempt to pitch tents in such a gale as was blowing, the party was dismissed, with instructions to parade again at 9am to-morrow.

Harewood Camp - Easter 1888

The Volunteer Encampment
Report of our special correspondent
The Star, Monday 2 April 1888, page 4

The encampment at Harewood was very orderly on Friday night. All and sundry amused themselves till 10.30 o'clock, when "lights out" was sounded, and all became quiet .

At 9am on Saturday the whole force paraded, twenty rounds of blank ammunition were served out for each rifle and carbine, and the same number of blank chargers for each of two of the nine-pounders. The "idea" was that the camp was threatened by an emery advancing from the North-east. The mounted corps were dispatched to reconnoiter the country between the camp and the North road, bounded by the Waimakariri on the North sand the Harewood road on the south. The infantry and artillery, with instructions to act as an outpost with guns, marched out after them. The infantry were divided into two companies, commanded respectively by Captains Bishop and Bowron. Half of each company was extended in skirmishing order, the other half acting as a support. An advance was then made towards Belfast across the scrub-covered paddocks to the eastward of the old Kaiapoi road, on which the extreme left rested. About three-quarters of a mile from camp a halt was ordered, double sentries from the various pickets posted, and one of the guns of the E battery was placed in position on the high bank of a branch of the Styx, so as to command Gardiner's road and the surrounding country. The position of this gun was perfect, and elicited the warmest approbation of the Brigadier, during whose absence at the front the gun had been placed. The artillerymen dug an excellent gunpit, which was completed in fifty-four minutes, six minutes under the regulation time. Captain Martin commanded the artillery at this point. Lieutenant Harris, with the other gun, took up a position about half a mile nearer the camp. A gunpit was dug here also, though, as it had to be excavated in shingle, the work was more difficult than at the other pit. The men, however, made an exceedingly good job of it. This gun, like the other held such a position that the infantry could act freely under cover of its fire. The infantry, with pickets and sentries duly posted, extended diagonally across the wedge-shaped piece of country between Gardiner's road and that on which the guns were placed. Lieutenant-colonel Tosswill, with Major Francis, directed their moments. Captain Bishop held a strong position on the right, while Captain Bowron was in charge on the left. The whole force was under the command of Brigadier, Lieutenant-Colonel Lean(1). At ten minutes past twelve the word passed along the line that the Cavalry and Mounted Rifles were coming in, but a quarter of an hour elapsed before any of them could be seen from the gun on the old Kaiapoi road. They had not been idle by any means during the morning. They had thoroughly patrolled the whole of the roads eastward from Gardiner's road to the North road, and that had concentrated at the Styx. They then retired towards the outpost by the Styx road, firing as they fell back. At half-past twelve o'clock Captain Martin's gun opened on the supposed enemy, before whom the horsemen were retiring, and five minutes later Lieutenant Harris's gun following suit. The Cavalry and mounted Rifles fell back steadily, keeping up a continuous fire for some minutes, the nine-pounders joining in whenever an opportunity presented itself. At a quarter to one o'clock the horsemen retired out of action, and drew up under cover of a high hedge at the junction of Gardiner's and the old Kaiapoi roads. Five minutes later the crackling of rifles on the right front announced that Captain Bishop's Company was engaged. The left Company now fell back on a line nearly parallel with the Kaiapoi road. Captain Bishop's men, keeping up a steady fire, retired and prolonged the line to the right. A heavy fire was maintained, the men being well in hand and showing an intelligent appreciation of what was required of them. A few minutes' firing was evidently too much for the enemy, who were supposed to be repulsed exactly an hour after the first shot from the Artillery. The Cavalry, followed by the gun, had been withdrawn from the left of the line during the infantry engagement, and some of the Mounted Rifles, whose ammunition was unexpected, dismounted and prolonged the line of Colonel Tosswill's defense to the right in time to send a few parting shots after the retreating enemy. The "cease fire" was followed by the "right close," and the force was back in camp a few minutes before 2pm., when dinner was served t omen who were quite ready to enjoy it, more especially as the meal was a capital one. Messrs. Jackson Bros., it should be remarked have fulfilled the duties of caterers in a manner which deserves great praise.

The Engineers, during the day, did good work on the pontoon bridge across the river. Altogether the work of the day was most satisfactory. The Volunteers had an opportunity of practicing things which cannot be done at the Drillshed or on Hagley park, and availed themselves fully of the chance, all ranks appearing to take great interest in their work.

A Church Parade
Sunday is observed as a day of rest in the routine of military life, and therefore the only parade announced in brigade orders was a church parade at 10am. This was attended by the C.Y.C., the Mounted Rifles, E Battery, First Canterbury Battalion, and the Rangiora Rifles, who were drawn up in three sides of a square on the open ground in rear of the camp. The Rev. J. Holland conducted a short service, and delivered a brief, manly, practical address. Taking for his text the passage from the Book of Judges, imprecating a curse on the inhabitants of Meroz for their want of patriotism in refusing to help in the deliverance of their country from foreign oppression, he denounced the shirking of duty, both in matters appertaining to his hearers' military calling and in things spiritual. This shirking of duty arose, he pointed out, either from indolence, cowardice, or a false humility which really resembled pride. From whatever cause this neglect of what was due to God and man arose, it was inexcusable and unmanly; and, therefore, he besought them earnestly to do their duty under all circumstances, however trying, under the banner of their Great Captain. The service did not last much longer than half an hour, ans at eleven o'clock the parade was dismissed.

The Work of the Engineers
The Engineers during the morning were usefully employed in forming a road, three chains in length and six feet wide, through the scrub on the bank of the river where they had placed their pontoon bridge. The bridge itself required attention, on account of a fresh in the river, which, during the night, had risen somewhat more than two feet. The structure was, however, soon rendered secure from all danger by flood. The duties of the Engineers in constructing it had certainly been arduous, as they had worked on Saturday from nine in the morning till half-past six in the evening, with only half-an-hour's intermission. The bridge was seventy feet in length, and consisted of two piers composed of timber frame-work supported on barrels.

Sunday Afternoon
Early on Sunday afternoon, while the men were at dinner, the tents of the First Canterbury were inspected by Colonel Tosswill, who was thoroughly satisfied with the neatness prevailing throughout. Neatness and order, it may be noted, are characteristic in a marked degree of the whole camp. Later on, a large number of visitors, including several ladies, were present in camp, and were hospitably entertained.
In the evening a demonstration was made against a Company which has not put in an appearance at the encampment. A figure, supposed to be a member of the corps in question, was paraded round to the tune of "The Dead March," and afterwards burned at a big fire on the right flank of the camp.
Captain Bristow was Orderly-Captain during the day, and Captain Harper fulfilled similar duties at night.

Discovery of a Skeleton
The Star, Tuesday 3 April 1888, page 3
During the excavation of a gunpit on the Waimakariri river-bed at Harewood yesterday, a broken and decayed skeleton was unearthed. With it was found a portion of a greenstone implement, apparently an adze, so it is presumed the bones were those of a Maori.

(1) Alexander Lean, 1824 -1893, architect of the Supreme Court building opened in 1869. (see Dictionary of New Zealand Biography)

William Guise Brittan (junior) 1845-1916, Burser at Christ College 1875-1916. Son of William Guise Brittan of the Canterbury Association and commissioner of Crown Lands.

The wedding of Lulu Moata McMurray and Harold Ernest Otley, 6 February 1924.

"Winter's Morning on the Avon"
This photograph titled "Winter's Morning on the Avon" by an unknown photographer was framed by Money Bros., Picture Frame Makers and Art Dealers of 285 Colombo Street, Christchurch. Under the brown backing paper is the number "9028" and on the reverse of the photograph the numbers "9028" and "3055" and letters perhaps "Gd". Shown in the center of this photograph is the building of the Philosophical Institute of Canterbury.

Christ Church Cathedral
1 September 1888

1 comment:

  1. I find the eighth photo down to be very interesting. The position of their feet marks them out as trained cadets, but I am puzzled by their uniformly rotund stomachs. Were they getting bread and treacle every day for lunch, or are they wearing something around their middle, under the pullover? A Life Preservers, perhaps?
    Are they at some sort of military school? It's a great picture

    Best wishes,